Other bloggers horrify themselves by working out how many unpainted figures they have. I managed to horrify myself by working out how long it would take me to paint the DBA armies I have. I managed 4 armies and 1 set of figures to ‘morph’ an army into another last year. Not counting the three armies and two morphs I would like to paint this year, I have 13 full armies to paint, and 7 ‘morph’ sets. So that would take me through to the end of 2014 – some time around my 49th birthday.Mark (of Hesperiana) selected some good warband figures for me from Feudal castings. I’m painting them at the moment as a side project. They will eventually form the basis for Norse Irish, Welsh, and Pre-Feudal Scots armies which aren’t included in the numbers above.
From the ‘Book I’ lists, this year I would like to paint I/27 and 34 (Hebrews), and I/31 (Hittites). The I/27 figures would be a morph of the I/34 ones, so they might look a bit anachronistic. But they should be fairly quick to paint and will give me enough ‘Chariot Wars’ armies to run a campaign. The other armies for this year are IV/1 (Komnenan Byzantine), which I am working on at the moment, III/52 (Eastern Franks), which I need to paint eight elements for, and IV/5 (Sicilian) which would mean that I have enough armies for an early medieval Italy campaign.
All in all I think my DBA painting plans for the year are fairly realistic, given the other priorities for this year: a house to move into and a garden to plant.Sometime this year I would also like to get some more DBA playing done. I have three armies that have not even seen combat yet.
And then there’s games besides DBA that I’d like to get around to.