I signed up to attend the DBA competition at Cancon next January, so I’m due to paint an army to take along there.
I was trying to finish off a pair of 1:1200 frigates beforehand, but when I had nearly finished rigging one of them the sails on her mizzen mast decided to fall off, trashing the mizzen backstays. I took that as a sign that I needed plenty of time to finish them, so I’ve made good what I can and put them aside for later. Doing that meant I had a couple of hours spare on Saturday so I set about finishing off some rebasing I had started ages ago.
Some element types in Hordes of the Things have fairly big bases, and I had merely flocked them, so they were looking rather bare (as you can see here). I decided to go to a bit of trouble prettying the bases up. My Magician and his skeletal bodyguards received a new base made of foamcore, with a stone floor effect (from what I remembered of this article). The skeletons had lots of flock stuck to their bases so I flocked an area at the back of the base, as if the floor was part of some overgrown ruins.
I bought some Army Painter Poison Ivy and used that as shrubbery for my Saxon Elf Lurkers to lurk in.
Continuing on the ruins theme I added a collapsed column to Hengist’s base. The column is made from one of those wooden pegs that come with flatpack furniture.
Horsa’s base now looks a bit more wild thanks to some Army Painter rocks and grass tufts.
While I was working on those bases I finally got around to flocking the washers that my two bards for Dux Bellorum ‘Bardic Battle’ scenarios are mounted on.
That was great fun. I’m not usually that creative when I’m doing my basing, firstly because there’s not usually room on the base but also because I’m usually impatient to get the army finished!