I suppose it was inevitable that when I said back at the end of April that I was about to start my WWII gaming, I would immediately start doing something else. I spent May, June, and July doing nothing productive apart from shopping for WWII things and actually playing games, which is what I’m here for I suppose. In early August I found that I was off to London for three weeks for work, that was after we’d booked our family holiday to Port Douglas, so that was a month away from home. Also, a while back I’d agreed to paint some American Civil War figures, in concert with the guys I play horse and musket games with. And suddenly it was time to start.
A while ago I won a lot of painted Heroics and Ros figures on EBay, but since the other players were using Baccus, which are much bigger than the H&R figures, I opted for Baccus myself. Because I didn’t know where to start in choosing how many figures to paint, I arbitrarily chose to paint enough figures to refight the Battle of Cedar Mountain. I have the old SPI game from the Strategy and Tactics magazine, and I found a Fire and Fury scenario (It looks like we will be using the Fire and Fury and the Regimental Fire and Fury rules). Actually I may be a few stands short because I’m not sure whether the brigade command stands count toward the number of stands mentioned in the scenario, but I’m not too worried as I’ve been consistent. Because I don’t have a lot of time (well I do, but it seems to vanish), I have decided to do the ‘fun’ painting (senior commanders, artillery, and horse) myself, while I commissioned Turbil Miniatures to do the basic painting on the infantry. I started my work with the Union troops, because their more uniform appearance meant I could get them out of the way more quickly. I finished them the week before I left on my trip, and also that week the Turbil figures arrived.
Once I was back from my travels, as soon as I was over my jet lag, I gave the Turbil Union figures a quick neatening up, and repainted a few details: their boots were the same brown as the bases, but I painted them black, also their haversacks were off white, but most of them look to have been black too, along with the Hardee hats (which had been painted blue). I also painted the rifle barrels and redid the flag poles (in brown, not green) and the drums (in ochre, representing the gold colour that a lot of them seem to have been). All of that sounds like a lot, but it only took a few weeks (including nights off) for 280 figures or so. Anyway in many cases the difference is only evident when I look at the figures through my desk magnifier. The flags are from Baccus. They might be a bit over scale, but only by a millimetre or so. We are using scaled down bases (20mm for foot) so that we can use Andrew’s dinner table for larger battles. 20mm is about the smallest you’d want to use, by the way, as the bases feel pretty tiny.